Friday, May 5, 2017

The Chamberlain Key by Timothy P. Smith



 
   The idea that the original manuscripts of the Bible had secret meaning behind the words used-- secrets that were hidden until now--has been with us a long time.
   When I saw this book in an advertisement in a respectable Theological magazine, I knew I had to get it and review it and set the record straight.
   This teaching that the words of the original languages hide some secret message is still being circulated today and being taught in some so called respectable theological seminaries. So it is an issue that must be answered. And having books such as this come out don’t help.
   It is being marketed as a nonfiction book. Smith is not a theologian as far as I know. It seems he got it in his mind that since he had six sons and a daughter and his father had six sons and a daughter and Leah, in the book of Genesis, the first book in the Hebrew Bible, had six sons and a daughter, there was a message hidden for him to discover in the Hebrew text.
   He claims to have discovered a key code using his first name which unlocks a message which has been hidden from us.  It is best explain by Smith himself at www.chamberlainkey.com.
   All I am going to say is this is poor Hermeneutics , the study of interpretation.  That is, the rules to proper understanding of the text. This story is not good scholarship.
   I cannot and won’t recommend it
   That said let me say I was sent this book gratis for the purpose of a review by blogging for books. Com. I was not required to give it a pass. I was only required to read it and post a review in my book blog.
    All views are my own and do not reflect on the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment