Monday, November 14, 2011

Period Fiction

   There is a book out there which everyone is talking about. It is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I find it a very good book. It is well written. You get caught up in the flow of the story that you lose account of time.  And that is good. You don't wish to read a book and wonder when the story will ever end. You have the choice of stopping reading or suffer through it. Not so with this book.
   It is told from the first person point of view and three voices. Yes, I said three voices. All firsr person. Two of the people are the maids themselves, Aibileen and Minny. The other voice is Miss Skeeter who is planning to write a book on the treatment of maids.
    It is a easy read of a time period when houses had maids and the maids were there to clean house and care for the kids so that the white people could do other things. The parts told by Aibileen and Minny are written in black candance but not in dialect. (I go like she tell me to. Even though they cups in full to the rim.)
    I found the craftmanship to be excellent.
    Recently there was a movie done. I don't know what part they used to film.. but the book is always better than the movie. I have heard that you should read the book first. That is a suggestion that I would second.
     This is a good first book. It takes place in Jackson, Mississippi which is where Stockett grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment